This awesome Halloween party recipe comes via the lovely folks at the Huffington Post, and kids and adults alike should have a lot of fun with it, besides being a tasty meal that is. (Oh, and scaring the hell out of your little sister/brother/mum . . . !)
- 2 pounds ground meatloaf mix (veal, pork and beef)
- 1/2 cup of grated Romano cheese
- 1 1/2 cups Italian bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 Tb dried oregano
- 1 Tb dried basil
- 3/4 cup cold water
- Kosher salt*
- Cracked black pepper
- Sliced black olives
- Deli sliced provolone cheese
- Fresh short Italian rolls
- 1 Tb butter
- 2 cups of homemade or your favorite store-bought marinara sauce
* I’m pretty sure normal salt will do here!
- Heat grill to 300°F direct heat.
- Mix the ground meat, eggs, bread crumbs, herbs, spices and water in a bowl by hand until blended well. Add 1/4 cup of grated Romano cheese and mix once more.
- Roll the meatballs to the size of golf balls and set aside on wax paper.
- Slowly warm your marinara sauce over low heat in a sauce pot.
- Set the meatballs in the refrigerator for 30 minutes while the grill comes up to temperature.
- Grill the meatballs over a direct fire turning them to brown all sides and take them to an internal temp of 165°F.
- Remove the meatballs from the grill.
- Lightly butter each Italian roll and toast for a minute over the coals on the grill.
Place 2 meatballs on each roll and pour a little warm marinara sauce over them. Lay out two slices of provolone over the meatballs and place the sandwiches back on the grill in a pan to allow the cheese to melt. Place a sliced black olive on the top of each meatball to make them look like eyeballs, then drizzle a little more marinara sauce between the meatballs.
Thanks to the Huffpost and BBQguru